Better Finglas are delighted to publish the first edition of our newsletter which we hope will be the first of many. This edition looks back over a very busy 2016 and highlights the achievements of all the staff, practitioners, partner agencies and consortium members involved in the creation and development of early intervention services in Finglas.
The beginning of a new year provides the opportunity to pause, reflect on recent successes and then use this sense of achievement to continue to work hard to improve the outcomes for all the children and parents availing of our services. The newsletter begins with a foreword from the chairperson of the Better Finglas Steering Committee and then outlines various achievements from the previous year which include:
- Antenatal workshops established in the community for expectant mothers and birthing partners
- 25 practitioners trained in the Triple P Positive Parenting Programme
- Wizard of Words Literacy Programme is now being delivered in eleven primary schools in Finglas
- New HSE funded midwife post added to the Preparing for Life team
- A Baby Stay and Play group was set up in partnership with St. Helena’s Family Resource Centre
- Infant Massage Instructor training for 16 professionals in the community
- ‘Steps to School’ transition programme developed to support children moving from preschool to primary school
- New Tusla funded Triple P Parenting Mentor joins the Better Finglas team to support practitioners in the area.
- 20 Early Years Professionals completed the High Scope Preschool Curriculum Training.
- 64 referrals of expectant/new parents received to the Preparing for Life Home Visiting Programme since June 2015.
The newsletter concludes with a summary of how many children, parents, volunteers and schools have been involved with the various strands of Better Finglas and an introduction to three new members of staff in the Better Finglas team.